I usually glide through these photo challenges, feeling amused and clever. I struggled with this one. Broken is a word that’s uncomfortable for me. In fact, I hate it.
In the horse world, broke(n) is a term used sometimes to refer to a horse that has been trained. It’s an old school word that has a connotation of harsh methods, usually involving physical domination. Most of us use more politically correct terms now, but the methods remain.
No small number of women were broken in their young lives, many times by the same harsh aggression used on colts. It’s something our society condones when someone is wild or free or beautiful. We are unnerved by that joy in others. Some of us think the constriction of hard work, intimidation, even violence, is the antidote for being filled with light.
This is Vinnie: Started young, passed around, used, injured, and rescued. He is many things, but broken is not one of them. The spark still burns. That’s true for us, too.
Anna Blake, Infinity Farm.
WordPress Photo Challenge is a weekly prompt to share a photo- I enjoy twisting these macro prompts to share our micro life here on the Colorado prairie. My photos are taken with my phone, on my farm. No psych, definitely not high tech.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)